Welcome to the bloc.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hungarian Trivia

For lunch today, I took the metro down to my favorite pizza place, Dob's.  You fill out a ticket for your pizza's size and toppings; my favorite is salami with hot peppers.  Today, despite ordering my favorite, the pizza came back with salami, black olives, onion, and corn.  This was one of those mistakes so baffling you just have to let it go... I will never understand how the cook translated my single check in the "hot peppers" box into three individual checks in the "black olives," "corn," and "onion" boxes.

Sometimes on the metro, I like to pass the time by reading the institutional literature on the walls of the car.  This time, I focused my attention on the "dog regulations" and found them amusing.  You can bring your dog on the subway if A) you muzzle and leash your dog, B) your dog is the only dog on the subway car, and C) you buy him a ticket or a monthly pass.  Humans need a passport-sized photo attached to their monthly pass but apparently they will waive this requirement for your dog. 

Considering that dogs must ride as ticketed passengers, I am curious how BKV (transit authority) treats other pet species.  I have seen a ferret riding the metro before, and I'm pretty sure he didn't have a validated ticket.

Speaking of pets, here's a funny exchange from the start of Conjecture & Proof today:
Prof. Csirmaz: And you all have heard about Schrödinger's cat?
Student: No
Prof: And have you just heard about Schrödinger?
Student: No
Prof: But you have heard of cats, though?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Dob's! Almost as delicious as Fuel. If only they had garlic on their menu--you'd be set.

jin2633 said...

Other pets (cats, ferrets, etc.) may be transported free of charge in a container of a size which does not exceed that of permitted hand luggage and which ensures the animal cannot soil the vehicle or the clothing of other passengers.